2016 Wine Bloggers Conference Agenda
All events will be held at the Hutchins Street Square in Lodi, California unless otherwise noted. This agenda is subject to change.
Wednesday, August 10
2:00 PM Pick Up at Sacramento International Airport for Pre-Conference Excursions
Thursday, August 11
4:00 PM Drop Off at Host Hotels from Pre-Conference Excursions
6:00 – 8:30 PM Registration and Lodi Opening Reception
8:30 – 10:30 PM Evening Party
Friday, August 12
8:00 – 9:00 AM Registration
9:00 AM Opening & Welcome
9:10 AM Keynote Speaker: To be announced
9:55 AM History of Grape Growing and Wine Making in Lodi: Hear from a panel of some of the original modern-era players in the Lodi grape growing and winemaking scene how Lodi came to be one of the preeminent grape production areas and, additionally, now known for its quality wines.
10:50 AM Break
11:00 AM The Truth About Viticulture: Learn from a panel of experts how every little detail is important to successful grape growing, from weather to planting the right grape variety to harvesting at the proper time.
11:55 AM Expo and Lunch
1:45 PM Wine Discovery Sessions: Choose from one of three Wine Discovery Sessions – to be announced
2:45 PM Break
3:00 PM Live Wine Blogging (White & Rose): This is the pre-eminent event at the Wine Bloggers Conference. Over 25 winemakers will each have five minutes to pour their wine, present their story, and answer questions from a table of bloggers. At the end of five minutes, winemakers will rotate to a new table. Bloggers will analyze and describe their impressions live via social media or their blogs.
4:00 – 8:30 PM Excursions into Lodi Wine Country: This is your opportunity to get out and into the local wine country. We will have eight different excursions going to eight different locations. Each excursion will include winery and vineyard visits, tastings, and dinner.
8:30 – 10:30 PM Evening Party: Details coming soon
10:30 PM Unofficial After Parties
Saturday, August 13
9:15 – 10:15 AM Breakout Sessions (choose one)
- Advanced Social Media for the Wine Industry: Hear from two experts in social media who will tell us what is current with our favorite social media platforms and how to use them to promote our blogs and websites. Our presenters are Beth Peluse from Zephyr Adventures and Maria Frangieh, a digital marketing consult to the wine industry.
- Traffic Analysis – Using Data to Make Decisions: Examine Google’s Search Console, BrainstormTools, and Facebook Insights that can all help you increase your traffic and revenue today. And forever more. Our presenters are Dan Morris and Rachel Martin from Blogging Concentrated.
- Wine Samples: Learn from both wineries and bloggers the intricate (but sometimes clumsy) dance that involves wineries sending samples to wine bloggers. How to get involved and how to do it right, from both sides’ perspective. The panel will be composed of two bloggers and two wineries experienced in the subject and moderated by Marisa Indelicato of Fox Run Vineyards.
10:30 – 11:30 AM Breakout Sessions (choose one)
- Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, & Periscope: These four photo and video social media platforms are among the hottest on the internet. Explore best practices for building your community and audience, with a special focus on tips, tricks and tools you should be using. Our presenters are Beth Peluse from Zephyr Adventures and Maria Frangieh, a digital marketing consult to the wine industry.
- United States Wine Regions & Climate Change: Learn how climate change will impact the major wine growing regions of Washington, Oregon, California, and New York and what growers are doing to adjust to these changes. Our expert presenter is Michael Fagin of West Coast Weather LLC.
- Monetization: Most wine bloggers will not earn a living from their blog but earning a respectable income can be done. We’ll cover Ad Networks, Adsense, Affiliate programs, display ads, selling products on your site, and hiring yourself out as an expert. Learn how from Dan Morris and Rachel Martin of Blogging Concentrated.
11:30 AM – 1:00 PM Lunch
1:00 – 2:00 PM Wine Discovery Sessions: Choose from one of three Wine Discovery Sessions – to be announced
2:15 – 3:15 PM Panel of Wine Blog Award Winners: Hear from winners of the 2016 Wine Blog Awards. The awards have been in place since 2007 (the year before the first Wine Bloggers Conference), honoring excellence in online wine writing. The winners represent the best of the best of wine blogging and all have a story to tell.
3:15 – 4:15 PM Live Wine Blogging (red wines): This is the pre-eminent event at the Wine Bloggers Conference. Over 25 winemakers will each have five minutes to pour their wine, present their story, and answer questions from a table of bloggers. At the end of five minutes, winemakers will rotate to a new table. Bloggers will analyze and describe their impressions live via social media or their blogs.
4:15 – 4:30 PM Break
4:30 – 5:30 PM Panel of Print Media Wine Writers: We will hear from a panel of professional wine writers who get paid for their writing expertise. Learn some tricks of the trade, ways to make the jump from personal blogging to paid writing, and their individual stories of the trials and successes of being a wine journalist.
5:30 - 7:00 PM Wines of the World
7:00 – 7:15 PM Break
7:15 – 9:15 PM Reception and Dinner With Lodi Wine
9:15 – 9:45 PM Wine Blog Awards Presentation: Tonight the 2016 Wine Blog Award winners will be presented with their awards. The awards process will begin in spring 2016 and winners will be announced in June.
9:45 – 10:00 PM Announcement of 2017 Location and Date
10:00 – 11:00 PM Buses Return to Hotel
11:00 PM Unofficial After Parties
Sunday, August 14
9:30 – 10:30 AM Breakout Sessions (choose one)
- The Big Jump – Why Wineries Desperately Need the Skills Bloggers Have: Hear from one person, Austin Beeman of Understanding Wine, who made the jump from blogger/small wine shop buyer in a small town in Ohio to being the Director of Marketing at Bonny Doon Vineyard in Santa Cruz, California.
- Increase Your Audience & Engagement: From social media groups to television producers, freelancing to working with other media sites, find ways to promote your blog and increase your community engagement. The discussion will be led by Mary Cressler and Sean Martin of Vindulge.
10:45 – 11:45 AM Blogger Reports: Hear five-minute reports from bloggers representing various regions of North America and throughout the world. We will put out a call for speakers in the late spring to those already registered for the conference.
1:15 PM Depart for Post-Conference Excursion
9:00 PM Drop off from Post-Conference Excursion back at Lodi hotels