2015 WINE BLOGGERS CONFERENCE AGENDA
All events will be held at the host Radisson Hotel in Corning, The Finger Lakes, New York unless otherwise noted. The agenda is subject to change and more detail will be added as we get closer to the conference.
Wednesday, August 12
1:00 PM Pickup at Radisson Hotel for the Pre-Conference Excursion to the Seneca Lake Wine Trail
1:30 PM Pickup at Elmira Corning Regional Airport for the Pre-Conference Excursion
Thursday, August 13
5:00 PM Pre-Conference Excursion finishes at the hotel
7:00 – 9:30 PM Registration and Opening Wine Reception: Corning’s Gaffer District, named a top culinary destination by the Bon Appétit Appalachia program, will roll out the red carpet for a beautiful evening reception in the historic downtown’s Riverfront Centennial Park. Wines from the Keuka Lake Wine Trail and small plates from a variety of the celebrated local restaurants pair beautifully, while the backdrop of the award-winning Historic Centerway Walking Bridge, laid over the Chemung River, and live music on the nearby Centerway Square’s public stage provide the perfect atmosphere. Named as a tribute to the gaffers, or master glassblowers, that make up Corning’s rich glass heritage, the historic downtown is known for its exceptional shopping, dining, arts and beautifully restored buildings. The reception is co-sponsored by the Keuka Lake Wine Trail and Finger Lakes Wine Country. Follow @GafferDistrict and join in the conversation using #ExploreCorning.
Friday, August 14
8:30 – 9:30 AM Registration
9:30 – 10:30 AM Conference Opening & Keynote Speech: Karen MacNeil, author of The Wine Bible
10:30 – 11:30 AM Introduction to the Finger Lakes Wine Country: A panel featuring a Geologist, Winemaker, and Sommelier from the region will introduce us to all things “Finger Lakes wine.”
11:30 – 1:30 PM WBC Expo & Lunch hosted by Finger Lakes Wine Country Tourism Marketing Association: Enjoy a casual summer lunch, chat with our sponsors, and taste wines from the region and from farther abroad. The lunch will take place outdoors in the courtyard outside the hotel.
1:30 – 2:30 PM Wine Discovery Sessions – Choose one of three:
- America’s Favorite Wine. And How it Got There – presented by Banfi Vintners
- Content provided by Ribera Del Duero & Rueda Spanish Wines – details to come
- Content provided by Finger Lakes Wine Country Tourism Marketing Association – details to come
2:45 – 3:45 PM Live Wine Blogging Featuring White Wines from the Finger Lakes: Live Wine Blogging has been a feature of every single WBC. You will have an opportunity to hear from ten wine producers in 50 minutes. Each will have five minutes to pour their wine, explain the wine and the producer, and answer questions all while you taste, evaluate, and Tweet or blog about your thoughts. All wines will be white wines from the Finger Lakes region.
4:15 PM Finger Lakes Wine Country Excursions: This is your one opportunity during the main conference to explore Finger Lakes Wine Country. We have almost five hours to head out on ten different excursions where you will meet local winery owners and winemakers, see vineyards, hear from local experts, taste wines, and enjoy Finger Lakes-focused fare. You might be served a winemaker’s own signature dish, a celebrity chef’s notable selection, or even find yourself grilling a steak or veggie option just the way you like it. Excursions will include overviews of the terroir, winemaking styles from each of the three main lakes, private library tastings, and multi-vintage verticals. The best part is that all excursions are a surprise – just jump on any bus and go!
9:00 PM Wines of New York! Tasting & Reception at The Rockwell Museum, a beautiful three-story historic building in the heart of Corning only one block from our hotel. The Rockwell is more than a museum, it is a unique community center where people enjoy, connect, and reflect on the essence of the American spirit, character and values through the eyes of American artists. Enjoy sweet treats, live music, and world-class art as you taste a wide variety of New York wines. Games and giveaways will make for a fun and memorable evening. Conference participants will be among the first to view a very special exhibition of “The Colorado River Basin” – see the story of the The Colorado River through vibrant photographs by Colorado-native and National Geographic photographer, Pete McBride. RockwellMuseum
11:00 PM After-hours Party with Jordan Winery
Saturday, August 15
9:30 – 10:30 AM Breakout Sessions – Choose one of three
- Digital Marketing for Wine Bloggers: Bloggers are content creators, which is the basis of digital marketing. And even if you are not selling any product or service, you likely are interested to “sell” your own brand and increase visitation to your website. Join Gary Nealon, founder of Wine Trail Adventures, to learn about converting your content into multiple forms of media for distribution including image, video, blog, power point, pdf, and audio; how to use social media to achieve your goals; and effectively using email to promote your site. Gary is the owner of a e-commerce based company that produces sales in the eight-figure range per year and has his own marketing firm in addition to running the Wine Trail Adventures app.
- Photography and Videography On Your Smart Phone: Do you add a few token photos to your blog posts but regret the time it takes to shoot and edit them? Are you still avoiding moving to video because it seems daunting? Photography and videography need not be time consuming or expensive. Hear from an expert how you can change the way you blog using photos and video with no additional budget and little extra time.
- The Business of Wine: What is new and what is upcoming in the wine world? Hear from three wine industry experts about their current experiences and predictions for the future of the industry.
10:45 – 11:45 AM Breakout Sessions – Choose one of three
- Blog-To-X: We have discussed monetization of wine blogging since the very first WBC. The conclusion appears to be the best way to “monetize” a blog is to leverage your experience blogging to consult in social media, write a book, get a winery job, or even create wine events. Hear from a panel of bloggers who have done just this.
- Women in the Wine World: Hear from three women working in the wine world about their experiences in a traditionally male field. Details coming soon.
- Advanced Blogging With WordPress.com: Details coming soon.
11:45 AM – 1:15 PM Lunch with the Seneca Lake Winery Association
1:15 – 2:15 PM Wine Discovery Sessions – Choose one of three:
- Wines Across the Andes – presented by Montes Wines
- Experience Pure Expression - presented by Wines of Alsace
Tucked between the Vosges Mountains and Rhine River in northeastern France, Alsace is one of the most unique regions in the country and the only AOC permitted to label by grape variety. Wine educator May Matta-Aliah DWS guides this tasting of Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer and sparkling Crémant d’Alsace at WBC15.
- Content provided by Finger Lakes Wine Country Tourism Marketing Association – Details to come
2:30 – 3:30 PM Panel of 2015 Wine Blog Award Winners: For the first time, the Wine Blog Award winners will be announced two months prior to the WBC. We will invite all winners of the awards to attend the conference and speak about how what they did to achieve the recognition of winning a Wine Blog Award. This is your opportunity to learn from fellow bloggers who are achieving success.
3:30 – 4:30 PM Live Wine Blogging – Featuring Reds & Rosés from the Finger Lakes: Live Wine Blogging has been a feature of every single WBC. You will have an opportunity to hear from ten wine producers in 50 minutes. Each will have five minutes to pour their wine, explain the wine and the producer, and answer questions all while you taste, evaluate, and Tweet or blog about your thoughts. All wines will be red & rosé wines from the Finger Lakes region.
4:30 – 6:15 PM Wines of the World Reception: Relax before dinner while tasting wines from wine around the world including Wines of South Africa; Ribera del Duero & Rueda Spanish Wines; Montes Wines from Chile & Argentina, Wines of Alsace, France; Dr. Loosen from Germany; Villa Trasqua from Italy; and Salton from Brazil.
6:30 – 8:00 PM Dinner hosted by Finger Lakes Wine Country Tourism Marketing Association: Details coming soon.
8:30 – 9:00 PM Wine Blog Awards Presentation at the Corning Museum of Glass: The 2015 Wine Blog Awards will be announced two months prior to the conference but award winners in attendance will receive their physical trophy this evening. Join in the fun and celebrate the achievements of your fellow bloggers in the beautiful auditorium of the recently remodeled Corning Museum of Glass.
9:00 – 9:15 PM Announcement of 2016 Conference Date & Location: Immediately after the Wine Blog Awards presentation we will announce the 2016 conference date and location.
9:15 – 11:15 PM Evening Party at the Corning Museum of Glass featuring wines from the Finger Lakes: Join our Finger Lakes hosts for one final salute to their outstanding hospitality as you roam the corridors of the impressive Corning Museum of Glass, sipping wines and sampling local desserts. Transport will be provided on a rolling basis back from the museum to the host hotel.
11:15 PM Unofficial After Parties – if you want to throw an after party, please stick to this time slot so as not to impact conference events
Sunday, August 16
9:30 AM – 11:30 AM The Secrets to Wine Blogging Success: Participate in an interactive discussion with a panel of successful bloggers, including the 2015 Wine Blog Award Winners, about specific things you can do to make your blog more successful. This is your opportunity to have your questions answered, discuss your concerns and ideas, or simply take notes with a room full of your peers and a panel of successful wine bloggers.
11:30 AM – 1:00 PM Lunch hosted by Finger Lakes Wine Country Tourism Marketing Association: As bloggers, writing is important. In Mark Twain Country, it’s part of the history. American literary genius, Samuel Clemens, penned some of his most famous works just down the road in Elmira, NY. Join us for “A Taste of the Region” for the culminating event of the conference. Enjoy a delicious lunch paired with local craft beer, Mark Twain-related surprises, and a slice of the region’s rich history and culture.
1:00 PM Pickup at Radisson Hotel for the Post-Conference Excursion to the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail
9:00 PM Dropoff at Radisson Hotel from the Post-Conference Excursion